Health Tips For A Successful Fat Loss Diet
Helpful Tips for Weight Loss in Houston, TX
At our Houston weight loss center we believe that one of the best ways to gain a healthy body involves drinking plenty of water. The best part is that water can dramatically increase the effectiveness of any proven weight loss program. It's the one liquid we must have to live. An average person can go nearly two months without eating, but less than a week without water. Yet, important as water is, most of us do not know how much water we need to consume.
Eight or more 8-ounce glasses are recommended to keep the immune system healthy. An added bonus is that it helps you lose weight, too. Did you know that when you drink a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of the water from zero to 37 degrees Celsius? In doing so, your body burns 17.5 Calories. In the course of a day, drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of ice cold water, you will burn 70 more calories than if you just drank warm water.
- Water helps to maintain healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite.
- Water leads to increased energy levels. The most common cause of daytime fatigue is actually mild dehydration.
- Drinking adequate amounts of water can decrease the risk of certain types of cancers, including colon cancer, bladder cancer, and breast cancer.
- For many sufferers, drinking water can significantly reduce joint and/or back pain.
- Water leads to overall greater health by flushing out wastes and bacteria that can cause disease.
- Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.
- Water naturally moisturizes skin and ensures proper cellular formation underneath layers of skin to give it a healthy, glowing appearance.
- Water aids in the digestion process and prevents constipation.
- Water is the primary mode of transportation for all nutrients in the body and is essential for proper circulation.
Weight Management Meal Tips
Substituting low fat alternatives to ground beef is a great way to cut down on calorie consumption. Try using ground bison or turkey in place of ground beef. Both bison and turkey are lower in fat and taste great! Below are two delicious and healthy recipes that incorporate ground bison and turkey. For more proven weight loss solutions, check back with us regularly or visit our Houston weight loss center for more health tips and delicious and healthy recipes.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 pound ground bison
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 small head cauliflower, stemmed and cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
Add cauliflower, bell pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, vinegar, tomatoes and beans along with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are fork tender, about 45 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
Courtesy of Whole Foods Market
Ground Turkey and Spinach Lasagna
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 sprays cooking spray
- 32 oz jar of marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked ground turkey
- 30 oz fat-free ricotta cheese or fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 package of no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles (Delano brand is wonderful)
- 20 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 ½ cup shredded part-skim, reduced fat, or fat-free mozzarella cheese (about 12oz)
Mix together ricotta cheese, egg whites, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a large bowl until well combined. To assemble lasagna, place 2 cups of reserved marinara sauce on bottom of dish. Layer with 3 noodles (or as many needed to cover surface area), 1/3 of ricotta mixture, 1/3 of spinach, 1/3 of mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of turkey-sauce mixture; repeat layers ending with turkey-sauce mixture. (Make sure to spread ingredients to edge of noodles.)
Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake lasagna for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted and edges are bubbly, about 20 minutes more. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing into 8 equally sized pieces.